I hesitate to say that I "joined" Critical Hits in August of 2005 because that's around when Dave sent out the e-mail to a bunch of us asking if we wanted to help out with the website, and also asking what we should name the site. I believe "For Great Justice" was the working title at the time, and I'm pretty happy with the name that we settled on considering the numerous other RPG, D&D, and especially 4E themed blogs that have popped up in the last year or two.
We started using Google Analytics back in October of 2006, just a year or so after we had been seriously blogging at the site. Here I'm going to look at some minor traffic stats over the history of CH so far.
- Late 2006: 30-50 avg. daily visitors
- First Half 2007: 200-350 daily visitors
- July 2007 - Fallout 3 Press Event: 1,625 highest daily visitors at the time
- Second Half 2007*: 100-200 daily visitors
- Feb 2008 - D&D XP for 4E: 4,575 highest daily visitors at the time
- First Half 2008: 300-400 daily visitors
- Second Half 2008: 400-800 daily visitors (with a lot more spikes up to around 1,600)
- First Half 2009: still in the 400-800 daily visitors range
- Second Half 2009: 800-1,200 daily visitors (GenCon brought large traffic spikes)
- First Half 2010 - ChattyDM joins CH: 1,600-2,000 daily visitors (Chatty brings the rain)
- August 2010 - GenCon: 7,300 highest daily visitors at the time
- Second Half 2010: 2,000-2,500 daily visitors (with spikes up to 4,500)
* Right around July of 2007 Google changed something with their search algorithms, and this resulted in us losing quite a bit of traffic that was probably just people glancing and bouncing from the site anyway, so we dropped from a high of 350 in a day back down to around 200 in a day.
Reading Update: I finished Wheel of Time book 6, Lord of Chaos, and am already 12% through book 7, A Crown of Swords. I'm hoping to be done with ACoS by the end of December and then into book 8 for January. It is still incredibly surprising, and satisfying, to be reading a book in a month that would have taken me up to 6 months to get through just a year or two ago.